Greetings to all my friends!
I'm excited to be going on my biggest adventure yet! I'll be visiting schools in Jordan, Lebanon, and Egypt. Check out my blog as I share my SUPER trip.

Your friend,
Alf

Monday, March 19, 2012

What I've Learned About Jordan

We are here with our colleagues and guides, Sossi and Yamman. Here is what I've learned about Jordan from our friends (and from the guide book Laura read to me):
Jordan is a kingdom of 6 million people. It is bordered by Syria, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, and Israel. It is primarily desert, and is landlocked except for one small area of shoreline along the Gulf of Aqaba (Red Sea).  The largest city is the capital city, Amman.
Jordan is 98% Arab, and most citizens speak Arabic (the official language), English and French. The country is considered a constitutional monarchy; their current king is Abdullah II, the son of their beloved King Hussein.  There are two primary religions in Jordan, Islam and Christianity.
Jordan has been inhabited by several civilizations. There are ruins in Amman from the Roman Empire (around 100 AD), including a Roman amphitheater which seated 6,000 people.
There are many ancient and amazing sights to see in Jordan. Wadi Rum is the vast, magnificent desert made famous by Lawrence of Arabia. The Dead Sea is the lowest point on earth (1,312 feet below sea level). Jerash is an ancient city dating back more than 6,500 years.  Petra is the country’s greatest tourist attraction, a city carved into sheer rock more than 2,000 years ago. It is a World Heritage Site, and often described as the eighth wonder of the ancient world.

No comments:

Post a Comment